Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#38004 - 17/10/2001 10:22 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: declain]
synergy
enthusiast

Not sure I am 100% agreeance with that. Today's factory speakers can rate well.

My "Top of the line" Acura speakers were/are... [censored].

I doubt that Honda is going to be putting better speaks in the honda line as opposed to the acura.

Putting BA's in their place improved the sound by an order of magnitude (subjective, of course).

I've still got the OEM speakers for when I sell the car... They aren't anything special.

#38005 - 17/10/2001 10:45 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: synergy]
declain
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
My car came with JBL and I am quite happy with them. They easily handle the 50 watts per channel put into them....

As with everything, it is a matter of personal preference and the direction in which one wishes to put their limited resources (time and money).

-Steve

//== MK2 20 GB Single Drive, Green Face Plate Currently installed in Toyota Solara ==\\

#38006 - 17/10/2001 23:27 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: kazama]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
1) In my old install, I replaced the back speakers with 5" MB Quart which I removed and are now sitting on my desk. Is it worthwhile to put those speakers into the Odessey or is that just a waste of time seeing how it is a new car with new speakers?

Keep the Quarts!

Understand that car manufacturers cut costs wherever humanly possible -- when you are talking volumes of hundreds of thousands of units, if you can save $10 on each car, that is a monumental savings -- millions of dollars.

So when they can cut $40--$50 out of the expense of building the car by putting in speakers that cost them $6 apiece instead of $30 apiece, and affect the performance of the car so slightly that only a few lunatic audiophiles will even notice, they are going to do so.

Ask Paul Grzelak (pgrzelak) about how he likes his 'Quarts in his Buick. (You can read about it in a thread starting here if you want more info.)

Now for the bad news... hang onto those MB Quarts because they are now collectors items. MB Quart has gone bankrupt and has been purchased by Rockford Fosgate. I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but in my neck of the woods, at least, Rockford Fosgate is looked upon with considerable disdain (my stereo shop won't stock them, will special order them if a customer absolutely insists, but will give manufacturer warranty only instead of the shop's customary lifetime warranty on any product they sell and install) and I feel it is only a matter of time, and not much time at that, before Rockford Fosgate starts slapping the MB Quart labels on their own (IMHO) greatly inferior products and soon after that MB Quart will be only another forgotten name, proving once again that marketing will win out over quality.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#38007 - 18/10/2001 08:40 Re: GM Steering Wheel Remote -> Empeg [Re: kazama]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
If you are really considering a SUV for space reasons and not off road capability then I'd suggest looking at a wagon. The VW Passat and Suburu Legacy/Outback wagons have about the same cargo capacity as a mid size SUV but are much more fun to drive and cheaper to operate. I own a '00 Passat wagon and I love it. They have double DIN slots in the dash making the empeg installation easy without needing any sort of retrofit kit (and you can sill have a CD player, if that's important). The new Passats have steering wheel mounted audio controls but I don't know anything about them.

I'm a big proponent of wagons. For some reason that I don't understand, people in the US love SUV's when they really aren't the best choice for how most people use them.

Though if family utility is your top criteria you really can't beat a minivan. Then again, that Aztec is really a SUV shell on top of a minivan platform.

-Dylan

#38008 - 30/10/2001 23:18 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: kazama]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I appologize for brining up an old thread, but I seemed to have missed it when Kazama said he was actually going to buy the Odyssey. So to start...CONGRATS! It's a blast. I love it. I'll tell you what I did and maybe it will help.

First of all, I have a thread in the install forum with pictures. Did you get the NAV? Just wondering. My installer reccomended under the driver's seat. It works well there.

I have a suggestion on the speakers. Frankly, I think everyone here has been correct so far, but I think it varies from car to car. Here is my summary of the Odyssey's factory system:

Speakers: Good
Head unit: Satan

I swear that once you put the empeg and an amp in there, the speakers will be fine. However, I didn't upgrade because I didn't see the need in spending the money on speakers. You already have them, so I say use them. It can't hurt.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your new ride. I still enjoy it after over a year of driving it. Look forward to two things when it comes to friends and your automatic doors:

1) a look of amazement
2) the phrase: "you don't have to push/pull it."

#38009 - 01/11/2001 07:19 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: Dignan]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
I appologize for brining up an old thread, but I seemed to have missed it when Kazama said he was actually going to buy the Odyssey. So to start...CONGRATS! It's a blast. I love it. I'll tell you what I did and maybe it will help.

I think this is becoming the thread that wouldn't die. Thanks! I am definately loving it so far.

First of all, I have a thread in the install forum with pictures. Did you get the NAV? Just wondering. My installer reccomended under the driver's seat. It works well there.

I did get the ExNAVi with leather seats and all the bells and whisles. I am thinking I will put the Amp under the driver's side passenger seat because there is more clearance, the seat comes out, and the carpet is cut already for the spare. Should make laying the cables pretty mindless and I can put the whole AMP under the seat. I did wonder if the installer had to drill a new hole in the firewall to run the cables? All openings to the engine seem to have gaskets around them which makes it increadibly difficult to sneak another cord in there.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your new ride. I still enjoy it after over a year of driving it. Look forward to two things when it comes to friends and your automatic doors:

1) a look of amazement
2) the phrase: "you don't have to push/pull it."

The best story so far for me was picking up some friends to take the new ride out. They were walking about 5 meters in front of me and I hung back to open the sliding doors from the remote. When the first one opened, they stopped and watched in awe. My friend Brian turned back and said, "Cool!" At the end of the night, he was asking his wife Jodi if they could trade in the F450 King Cab they have for the Mini-Van. She smiled and said no, until she is pregnant.

I am just loving the ride so much. Gas mileage is better than most mini-vans but not on par with the Civic I left behind. I am just glad my commute to work is all of 5 minutes. I also got the equiv of the "Southern Hospitality" service up here so I shouldn't have to worry about much for the first 100,000 miles. We shall see tho. Hopefully I will get the Empeg in this weekend. Spent the last one in Bermuda so time was not there.

Greg

#38010 - 01/11/2001 08:47 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: kazama]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
the F450 King Cab they have

When I was in the US recently I figured out that Ford F150s were ludicrously big, F250s even bigger, and "crew cab" F350s (there was one in Sonic Blue's car park) utterly ludicrously big. I didn't even realise it went up to 450, but a look at Ford's web site shows the top of the range is the 750...

Peter

#38011 - 01/11/2001 11:18 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: peter]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Yeah, one wonders how do those people pick their boats: I guess that provisions for several 40' containers or at least a modest general cargo hold with handling equipment is essential .
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#38012 - 01/11/2001 13:36 Re: Vehicle choice [Re: peter]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Typically these are people with nothing to transport whatsoever.

Calvin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2